Monday, November 5, 2012

The African Woman: "Strength and Dignity are Her Clothing"

Most of my time in Africa has been spent with the women and children of Kenya.  Here it is definitely not about the "outward adornment-the braiding of hair, the putting on of gold or the clothing that you wear."  You can not walk past a woman here without noticing the character of her face, the "hidden person of the heart." Many of the women that I have met have faced such losses and tragedies, but yet, there is still such strength and dignity in every curve of the faces of these women.  When I pass a woman on the street that I don't know, I always try to look at her in her eyes.  I want her to know that we feel the same things.  On the inside we are alike.  On the outside our skin color may be different and our cultures may be worlds apart, but we have the same heart.  We have a heart that loves our husbands and our children; we have a heart that cries over the atrocities of this world and the pain of losing a loved one.  I want her to know that as God's women, we are "fearfully and wonderfully made"; that He values us as His children.


In getting to know many ladies personally, and hearing their stories of life and love; it amazes me how much courage and fortitude that the Kenyan women possess.  I am in awe.  Many of my friends here rise way before sunrise to prepare food to sell at kiosks along the road and then head to other jobs that they work at until late in the evening.  When they prepare food for their family, it is not on a nice electric or gas range, it is on a "giko" (a coal burning grill).  There are no prepackaged meals or fast food for these ladies to prepare.  All of their laundry is done by hand in buckets and they have to go get the water from a pump.  Kenyan women are the perfect example of Proverbs 31:17: "She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks."

I have been blessed to be able to speak at several of the Ladie's Day Meetings that the women hold once a month to be uplifted spiritually.  This is a time for all of the women to get together and share scriptures, sing, fellowship and enjoy a meal together.  This is such an important ministry, because many of these women are in small rural village churches.  As I have been privileged to be a part of this ministry, it has allowed me to see how much these women love the Lord and want to serve Him.
 

When I leave Kenya, I can truly say that I have made wonderful friends here.  We may be very different in many ways, but I know that inside we are alike.  We share our hearts with each other and that is what matters.  If we were never to meet again, I have been forever changed by these beautiful, courageous women.  Rafiki zangu (my friends)!

2 comments:

  1. Suzy, you are getting to have quite the eye for taking pictures... these are beautiful, and I love that you always look the women in the eyes when you pass. Even that small thing shows them they are valuable. We are missing you and Greg!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful thought! Miss you tons though!

    ReplyDelete