Monday, November 19, 2012

Witnessing Something So Special, It is Hard to Hold Back the Tears


Today was one of those days that I got to witness a young man of about 19 years of age bring such words of encouragement to a young boy of thirteen.  George Asimba met Johnkeen Glyn for the first time today. George is a member of Ring Road Church of Christ and is an inspiration to all who know him.  He wanted to meet Johnkeen so that he could share his life story after becoming paralyzed right before going to high school. As you might remember from one of my earlier posts, Johnkeen was paralyzed the second week that Greg and I arrived in Kisumu.  We took him to Kijabe Hospital and they said that his spinal cord would never work again.  You can imagine the devastation of his parents!  They are still trying to come to terms with this and are searching for ways to help Johnkeen, as any parent would do. George offered to go talk to Johnkeen and his parents so that he could encourage him to be all that he can be and that life does go on after being paralyzed.

George shared with Johnkeen and his parents that he began to feel a weakness in his lower extremities and it gradually worsened until he was fully paralyzed from the waist down.  He was an active boy and had not had any problems beforehand.  He does not know what caused him to be paralyzed and had to come to terms with it.  George decided to attend Joyland School for the Handicapped in Kisumu.  He adapted very well and is now planning to go to college in Nairobi and major in Criminal Justice.  


As I sat and listened to George talk directly to Johnkeen and his parents, it was hard to hold back the tears.  George began by sharing John 9:1-3. "As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth.  His disciples asked him, Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?  Neither this man nor his parents sinned, said Jesus, but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life." Michael and Florence (Johnkeen's parents) listened intently and asked many questions.  You could clearly see that they were uplifted.  George challenged them to not give Johnkeen sympathy, but empathy, so that he would not be dependent and be secure in who he is.  Michael and Florence have been unable to find a school for Johnkeen, so he has been out of school since he became paralyzed; but George was so strong that their should not be discrimination against the handicapped that I believe Johnkeen's parents will be renewed in finding a good school for him.  George also quoted the scripture in 1 Corinthians 1:18-20 where Paul is talking about the wisdom of God is foolishness to the world. "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.  For it is written:  'I will destroy the wisdom of the wise ; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.'  Where is the wise man?  Where is the scholar?  Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?"  He told Johnkeen man doesn't always understand why God allows things to happen.  What we consider wisdom is not what God considers wise!

I love this little boy so much.  As I leave Kisumu, I don't know if I will ever see him again, because of the many health issues that come along with this type of handicap.  But, as I listened to George admonish and encourage Johnkeen and his family, I know that God is in control of Johnkeen.   He is such a little guy with such a big heart!  I truly believe that "the work of God is being displayed in his life".  

Please keep Johnkeen and his precious family in your prayers.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful image of this great man encouraging Johnkeen, and what an amazing verse he chose to share about the man born blind. This brings tears to my eyes! I love you for loving him!

    ReplyDelete